It’s a daunting task to find that one perfect lipstick for your special occasion, whether you’re a bride-to-be or an honoree. We expect our lipstick shade to perform magic, transforming us into the women everyone wants to be. Believe it or not, lipstick can do just that! Let us take, for example, the perfect red lipstick … it say’s chic, powerful, sexy and confident. This woman is not afraid of attention and even commands it. It takes a lot of confidence to pull off this classically bold statement, and sometimes we have to convince ourselves of this first! Fake it till you make it, right!
When it comes to selecting confidence in a tube, which shade do you feel the best in? For me it depends on the occasion and the mood you’re wanting to convey. A lipstick is best when it complements your skin tone and brings a balance to the entire look. It can create a soft innocence or a romantic touch to the simplest makeup looks. Lipstick can enhance a drab, washed-out skin tone by adding a brightening effect, which gives a bit of life back to one’s complexion. Be fearless and try something that pushes you in a new way to view yourself. It’s just lipstick, you can always take it off!
Nude lipsticks vary from beige, to pink, to peach and to the universally flattering rosy tones. There are so many shades to choose from. You can now find lipsticks in every color of the rainbow, literally! Textures are another thing to think about when choosing a lipstick. I’ll break it down so it’s not so confusing to those who are unfamiliar with this particular topic.
- Tinted Lip balms: Are the most moisturizing and offers the least amount of color payoff. Staying power is not intended. Great for on-the-go and if you need moisture with a kiss of color.
- Sheer Lipstick or a Glaze: A wash of color. It’s subtle on the lips and applies a fair dose of color, but lends itself to a slight sheen. Your natural lip shade isn’t covered completely by this lipstick. Gives moisture and wears for a couple hours at best. Great for those who prefer a little something without the commitment of an opaque application.
- Cream Lipsticks: Highly pigmented with comfort and longer wearability. Polished and professional looking. Ideal if you’re wanting color with some moisture and longevity.
- Matte Lipsticks: Highest pigmentation with opaque coverage and absolute staying power. Little moisture is offered with most matte lipsticks. This is great if you’re wanting true color payoff and a bolder look. When wearing a drier formula of lipstick, I suggest making sure lips are hydrated prior to use. Otherwise the lips can look cracked and flaky (not cute)!
- Liquid Lipsticks: A liquid formula packaged like a lipgloss. Don’t let that fool you. It’s all lipstick, nothing glossy about it! Highest pigmentation with bullet proof wearability. No moisturizing qualities. Suited for a more dramatic effect with lasting benefits.
- I also recommend the use of a lip pencil when wearing a lipstick with more pigmentation for a couple of reasons: A lip pencil helps to shape and define the lips, adds an additional layer to help create longer wear and keeps the look polished. Lip pencils can also add a tint of color to those lipstick shades that need a tiny bit more color payoff.
When choosing a lipstick shade, look at your natural lip color. This is your best starting point. Do you see more pink, red, brown or maybe even a bit of purple in your lips? Understanding one’s natural lip tone will help you find some beautiful lipstick. For the best outcome with your lipstick choices you’ll want to stay within a similar tone. Your best friend’s lipstick will look completely different on you for this very reason! Everyone’s lip color is unique. I believe there are no rules with makeup, it’s all about individuality and what you identify with to express yourself. There are makeup trends that come and go, but finding that “one” lipstick will forever be your classic, your signature, your inner Marilyn Monroe! Whatever the occasion, we all should find our pout that stands out!